People living with HIV in BC are healthy and free to lead purposeful and actively engaged lives in an accepting, inclusive community.
The Positive Living Society of British Columbia exists to enable persons living with AIDS and HIV disease to empower themselves through mutual support and collective action. From our personal struggles and challenges come our courage and strength.
Core Values and Beliefs
- Our mission statement is our guide to all we do.
- We foster, encourage and empower persons living with HIV/AIDS.
- We are inspired by our unique history and honour the contributions of our founding members.
- We celebrate and depend upon the abilities, diverse life experiences, knowledge, and beliefs of all persons living with HIV/AIDS.
- We are a member-driven society; people living with HIV/AIDS control and direct it.
- Confidentiality and privacy are intrinsic to the Society.
- Persons living with HIV/AIDS accept ownership of the virus in their bodies and take responsibility for dealing with it.
- We promote healthy behavior, respectful and honest interaction, and safe, supportive environments for all.
- We value giving and receiving support.
- We respect the identities of all persons.
- People living with HIV/AIDS have the right to make choices with respect to the quality of their lives.
- Persons living with HIV/AIDS have the right to live and die with dignity, free of stigma and discrimination.
- In delivering services and programs to our members and other HIV-positive persons, board members, staff and volunteers act in a manner consistent with these values and our mission statement.